Leader Future Jobs Inquiry Program
- Full time, 24 month fixed term contract
- up to $140,000 plus 9.5% Superannuation
- Applications close 17th January
Lead the Regional Australia Institute’s (RAI) Future Jobs Inquiry Program by designing and delivering high impact research projects as a senior member of our team.
Innovative and creative analysis of in-house and external data resources to provide answers on complex regional development questions;
Provide oversight and guidance to the work of research colleagues and partners that contribute to the RAI program;
Alongside the wider RAI Executive, communicate the work to positively influence the regional development strategies and policies pursued by governments and regional leaders; and
Contribute to the RAI’s future national leadership of regional development in Australia.
Reports to: General Manager – Policy and Research (GMPR)
Directly Supervises: Senior Researchers and Research Assistants
Coordinates: University partners and external consultants
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Key responsibilities include the following: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Lead the implementation of major research projects under the Future Jobs Inquiry Program including:
o Develop project concepts and implementation approaches
o Prepare project plans and monitor progress
o Undertake research and preparation of research, policy and other products
o Conduct and manage quantitative analysis using RAI and other data sources
o Conduct and manage qualitative research in the field
o Manage stakeholder engagement and other communication activities across projects
o Project management including supervision of staff and outsourced research components and meeting milestones
- Lead other high priority RAI research projects as agreed with the Executive Team;
- Develop policy briefings, internal policy papers, opinion pieces, publishable articles, conference presentations and other communication resources on policy issues related to the Inquiry Program;
- Build and maintain a network of experts and influencers including policy makers, other think tanks and researchers to expand understanding of the policy context, issues and state of the evidence; and
- Provide policy advice, briefings and support to the CEO and General Manager – Policy and Research.
- Other duties as requested by the GMPR and CEO.
Key Selection Criteria
- Evidence of a strong background in policy and research closely related to the theme of future jobs and workforce development needs in regional Australia.
- Advanced quantitative and qualitative research skills using a variety of software;
- Demonstrated ability in research project design and delivery;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and ability to provide effective coordination capability within a team under the pressure of rapidly changing workload and simultaneous multiple projects to meet competing deadlines; and
- A thorough understanding of issues and opportunities currently facing regional Australia in relation to economic and community development.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated experience working within the policy process;
- Postgraduate (Honours / Masters / PhD) qualifications in Economics, Business or other relevant field; and
- A strong track record of high performance in a similar role.
- Mandatory: Tertiary qualifications in Economics, Business or another related field of study; and
- At least 5 years of experience in an applied economics policy environment.
Applications for this position close 17th January 2018 and may be emailed to Kym Haughton at the Regional Australia Institute – Kim.Houghton@regionalaustralia.org.au
Criteria/PD is available here PD – Inquiry Leader Future Jobs